19 January 2017

2 out of 3 aint bad, but 3/3 is Excellent!

Date: 18/01/2017
Location: Somerset Coast
Weather: Grey, Cloudy
Species Highlights: 
Dartford Warbler, Stonechat, Reed Bunting, Eider, Curlew, 
Redshank, Oystercatcher, Short Eared Owl.

Observation:
Decided to go coastal today and found this great Stonechat first.



Then at this spot I knew a Dartford Warbler was about and sure enough while sat watching the Stonechat and pushing away the dogs of which there were many!
He popped up.



Not once but many times probably wondering while I was sat on the wet grass in front of his bush!


Got love them such little beauties!


Even posed for a close up!


I left him munching the Sea Buckthorn Berries.


After spending a while with him headed round to Weston Super Mare where a female Eider had been, at Marina Lake which I knew well, spent many a summer as a kid swimming and getting sunburn there. On arriving spotted her almost instantly, it was the only thing apart from 4 Gulls on the Lake.



The over shoulder pose.


Took far too many photos, light was pretty bad at this point so trying all the setting to improve shots.


She was catching Limpets, seemed to be quite happy and looked in good health.


Walked around the Lake trying different angles.


When the Eider swam towards me, got out had a stretch, too close then skidded down muddy wall and swam out to sea!


So with that I headed to my next destination. My plan today was Dartford Warbler, Eider then Short Eared Owls. So with the Meat Loaf song playing in my head, headed to final place along coast.
Redshank, Oystercatcher,Shelduck, Curlew, Meadow Pipit but no SEO, oh well I thought, time to go home. 

On walking back spotted a Short Eared Owl! 


Light pretty poor but SEO!
 I was very happy!


Then 2..


Best shot of the day 7D MK2, 100-400mm MK2 and 1.4 converter working very well.


Whoo hoo! They seem to be hunting in a larger area than I've seen before but stood still and waited for one of them to come closer.


It did and sat on Branch, landed while i was looking at other one!


Then a Fox appeared don't see many foxes in Newton St Loe so a welcome sight.
My camo working well me thinks!


Didn't see them catch, but both owls were fighting plus Herring Gulls were following them round at times.
It landed while I was looking the other way! But so nice to see them. I shall return!



Thanks For Looking! 
&
  Thanks For All Your Support!

If you enjoy our blog's, why not follow us on our social media:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments if you have visited Newton St Loe recently, would like to add some sightings or even if you just like the page!
Thanks NSL-Birding...