21 February 2017

Monksdale Road Bath & Waxwings

Date: 21/02/2017
Location: Monksdale Road - Bath & Waxwings
Weather: Drizzle and Grey
Other Species: 
Greenfinch, Dunnock, Rook, Crow, Magpie, Robin, House Sparrow, Waxwing.

Observation: 
A report from previous day on some Waxwings at Monksdale Road in Bath had to be followed up, location is 1.5 miles from my patch! @GlenOrioleglen had reported them day before, I missed tweet but this morning he tweeted again and I was there!



On arriving I was only person there it was raining and felt a bit strange sat in Van with binoculars and camera trained on entrance bushes to allotments, I waited for around 30 mins and was thinking they've gone..... When!! 

One showed and struggled to get a juicy rose-hip berry.


The magnificent Bird posed around 5 meters from me!


It only stayed the road side of the bush for 2/3 mins then flew up into nearby trees, to join another.


They flew down to feed 3 or 4 times but each time the wrong side of bush for me to see. Then one flew down on to Footpath to pick up a few fallen berries.


Cars passing by it didn't seem to worry as it threw this berry down the hatch!


Stunning colours on rear. Best rump award 2017 goes to the Waxwing!


From the floor it flew straight towards me and landed in tree above where I was parked, Too close almost! From there they fed once more then flew off in the direction of my house. 
I'm hoping! 
Anyway around 5 other people managed to see while i was there and the best Monksdale road ever looked!



Checked Haycombe Cemetery on way home as there are lots of berries up there, so next few days they could get some new visitors .

On arriving home the feeders were full of finches lots of Goldfinches.


Also Bullfinches feeding on my home made perch. Another stunning bird.


Monday went to Chew Valley Lake and saw 3 Great Black Backed gulls fairly close to Dam Wall.



That gull still there saw him twice once at Herriott's an Herons Green, I'm going for Herring Gull x Lesser Black Backed.


Gotta love Gulls this Lesser Black Backed 1st year looks cracking.


More hybrids this Chiloe Wigeon or at least escapee on Herriott's.


I'll end tonight blog with a bit of Muted Love.

Thanks to everyone I spoke to, and it was nice to meet you!


Thanks For Looking! 
&
  Thanks For All Your Support!

If you enjoy our blog's, why not follow us on our social media:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments if you have visited Newton St Loe recently, would like to add some sightings or even if you just like the page!
Thanks NSL-Birding...