28 August 2017

My Brilliant Hobby (Birdwatching)

Date: 28/08/2017
Location: Chew Valley Lake
Weather: 27+ Very Warm and Blue Skies
Species Highlights: 
Hobby, Great White Egret, Little Egret, Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Green Woodpecker, Common Sandpiper, Water Rail.

Observation: 
Another great day so headed off down to Chew, thought I'd sit in Villace Hide for a bit to see what was about. Nothing in first hour, really nothing then on almost packing up to leave heard what I thought was a Peregrine flying directly across lake towards me.


It was 2 Hobbies, Juvenile above and the adult with the full red trousers! 


Excellent, just another 1/2 hour I thought, then 2 dog walkers appeared on other side of lake, I shouted from hide across to them, as all the birds disappeared from the Lake that were in front of me annoyed!!  At that point the Hobby flew past the hide at speed, it carried on doing similar for the next couple of hours frequently catching dragonflies with the Juvenile calling Ki, Ki, Ki from the trees behind Hide.



Giving me superb views, sat on my own in the Hide what more could you ask for!



Tried many different setting on camera but Hobby was either too distant or to fast.



Was catching and taking back to juvenile every 10 mins, first I heard the call, then seconds later the adult would fly past hide.



A couple of time the juvenile would chase after the adult begging and I even got a few passes mid air.




Adult and Juvenile share the meal.


Many Dragonflies in front the Hide giving the Hobbies plenty of food.


I thought it couldn't get much better.....


Ended on 400mm F8/4000 shutter/ iso 1000.


I pretty happy with these, my best ever Hobbies.


Tighter crop on this one, stunning birds a privilege to watch!


I wandered off around other hides but couldn't better my experience, did see a Water Rail briefly from Herriot's + 4 Great White Egret but nothing this close. A great day was had not even the dog walker could spoil my day :)


Thanks For Looking! 
&
  Thanks For All Your Support!

If you enjoy our blog's, why not follow us on our social media:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments if you have visited Newton St Loe recently, would like to add some sightings or even if you just like the page!
Thanks NSL-Birding...